A bit about myself

My name is Iain, I am eight years old and I live in Madrid (Spain) with my mother and father. I speak Spanish and English because I'm half and half. And I have lots of questions. I started this blog when I was four.

My mother does something fun here:

My father is very beautiful and special too.

My cousin Inés has a rather great blog called Cool, yeah!

10.8.15

My First Book Review: The Hobbit

Title: The Hobbit.
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien

First reading: July 2015 (my age: 6)
Reader out loud: Gustavo Iglesias (my father)

Second reading: August 2015  (my age: 6)
Reader out loud: Ellen Duthie (my mother)

What it's about: It's about a little hobbit* called Bilbo Baggins who doesn't have a lot of power. Suddenly he has to face a great danger. It is the story of how a Baggins got into an adventure doing and saying unusual things.

What I like about it: Gollum. Even though he is a baddie, I'm quite interested in him because he is mean. I also like that Bilbo gets a sword. It's very interesting, even though some reviewers I've read on the Internet say it's very boring because the explanations are very long, I don't really agree with that because that way you understand it better and you have to be patient. I like that the main character doesn't defeat Smaug (the dragon in the lonely mountain guarding the treasure that Thorin wants). That's different from other books, because the goodie doesn't beat the baddie.
The coolest part of the story is the adventure with Gollum and riddles in the dark.

It's good for the reader who is reading out loud to have a good voice for the characters.

I'd recommend it for everybody in the world, except for newborn babies and babies in general, who might not follow it.

* Hobbit: a little person, normally a bit chubby. A grown-up hobbit is only as tall as me. By the way, I am six.

Added on 2nd of October, 2015:
A few weeks ago, we did a very fun thing with The Hobbit. We looked up all the descriptions of the different characters in the book and drew them based on that description (instead of based on the film, or on other images we have seen). They look much better in person than in the photos, but they now keep me company next to my desk when I'm doing my school homework.

2 comentarios:

  1. Dear Iain, I have really enjoyed this review. It makes me want to buy The Hobbit and rediscover it, because I have to confess I don't really remember it (!). Maybe I am getting a bit old - what do you think? I also know Inés will want us to read it to her now that she knows how much you like it. We recently bought The Little Prince for her, but we have yet to start it. Have you read it? Lots of love from Imogen x

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Dear everybody in your house, thank you for the comment about my review of The Hobbit. I haven't read The Little Prince. Mummy has it, but in French and I only speak a few words of French: en garde, touché, bonjour, merci and je m'appelle Iain. It has 339 pages The Hobbit, it does, but you can read it in a few weeks. It explains a lot of the surroundings, but that's just so you can imagine the world.Bye-bye

      Eliminar

Thanks for leaving a comment!