A bit about myself

My name is Iain, I am eight years old and I live in Madrid (Spain) with my mother and father. I speak Spanish and English because I'm half and half. And I have lots of questions. I started this blog when I was four.

My mother does something fun here:

My father is very beautiful and special too.

My cousin Inés has a rather great blog called Cool, yeah!

11.8.15

A review of Mio's Kingdom

Title: Mio's Kingdom
Author: Astrid Lindgren

First reading out loud: Gustavo Iglesias (my father), last year (I was 5)

Second reading out loud: Ellen Duthie (my mother), January 2015 (I was still 5).

This review is dedicated to my grandfather Pa (heart of ice, claw of chicken).

What it's about: It's about fear. A little boy called Mio lives with his aunt and uncle, who are not very nice to him. In fact, they are horrible. For example, they don't let him play, they don't let him invite friends to his house and they want him to go to other people's houses as much as possible to get rid of him. One day at the grocer's the grocer gives him an apple and asks him to post a letter. Mio reads it and it is addressed to the King of Farawayland.

Shortly after he finds a bottle and he sees a genie inside, but the way out is blocked with a stick. The genie says 'I will do anything for you if you free me from this bottle'. So Mio takes him out and asks to go to Farawayland. The genie tells him only one person can go to Farawayland, a boy with a golden apple. Mio holds up the apple from the grocer and the genie says: 'Oh! it is you.'
So that's how Mio's life changes. In Farawayland he meets his father, the King of Farawayland, and a friend, Pompoo. Together, they will fight Sir Kato the baddie of Farawayland. He's not just a baddie, he's the worst baddie ever. He's mean, and cold, with a claw of iron and a heart of stone. There are many dangers, but in the end Sir Kato dies because Mio has a sword that can cut through stone.

What I like about it: It's very poetic with beautiful language and beautiful words. I like everything about it. Sir Kato is a very good character. It's got one of the most gripping beginnings ever:

"Did you listen to the radio on October 15th last year? Did you hear the news about a boy who disappeared?"

I recommend it for people aged four and more. (4+)

3 comentarios:

  1. Dear Iain - I REALLY like your reviews. I think I am going to have to make a list of books to get for Inés, based on your reviews. Do you think she would enjoy Mio's Kingdom? If your review is anything to go by, I think she most definitely would. Inés is currently listening to a Pippi Longstocking audio book at night time when she goes to sleep. The thing is we can hear her LAUGHING a lot because she loves it so much, so it means she is going to sleep rather late! This sounds quite different from Pippi Longstocking, even though it is also by Astrid Lindgren. Do you think she would like this book for her birthday? The beginning sounds incredibly gripping, you're right - I can't wait to read it! Please continue writing reviews, I am finding them very interesting to read. Thank you! Love Imogen

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Dear Iain - I love both your reviews! They are very interesting. I have read the Hobbit - a very long time ago - but I haven't read Milo's Kingdom. Now you have made me want to read it!

    Hmm - the boy who disappeared .... You have left me wondering. Do you think he still has his golden apple?

    Lots of kisses to you xxxxx

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hola Iain,

    No sabía que tenías un blog ¡qué interesante! Tu madre me dijo hace un tiempo que te había gustado mucho Mío, mi pequeño mío (siempre cambian los títulos en español) y me animé a leerlo ¡A mi también me ha parecido un libro lleno de intriga....y de magia! ¿No es emocionante que un niño que vive con sus miserables tíos acabe venciendo a un ser horrible con corazón de piedra?
    Espero encontrar nuevas recomendaciones en tu blog dentro de poco.

    Un abrazo

    ResponderEliminar

Thanks for leaving a comment!