A bit about myself

My name is Iain, I am eight years old and I live in Madrid (Spain) with my mother and father. I speak Spanish and English because I'm half and half. And I have lots of questions. I started this blog when I was four.

My mother does something fun here:

My father is very beautiful and special too.

My cousin Inés has a rather great blog called Cool, yeah!

14.3.16

Eggs: why are some white and some brown?

I was having breakfast this morning and I asked my mother: 'Where are these eggs from?'. She told me they were from fruit and vegetable shop on the corner. But this egg is white! (our eggs are normally brown). And so I asked 'Why are some eggs white and some eggs brown?', 'What makes them the colour they are?' Do they taste different? (We don't think they do but maybe a beefeater could tell the difference).


And here's what we found out! It's the colour of the hens! White hens have white-ish eggs and brown-reddish hens have brown-ish eggs!


We also did a bit of research to see if there was any difference inside the eggs (some people think brown eggs are healthier than white eggs) but found out this was a myth (or an idea that people think is true but actually isn't).

I'm off to school now but if you have any interesting eggy information, please do leave a comment!

2 comentarios:

  1. Dear Iain,
    Why, just the other day I had this conversation with a Dutch lady who has a shop here where she sells food from other countries (a lot of Dutch things) and also some organic things. She sells organic eggs from a farm nearby and I wanted to buy some. She said, with a slightly apologetic face "Do you mind if I give you some white and some brown?". And I said, "No, of course not, why would I?". And she said "You'd be surprised, I don't understand this, but some people don't want the white eggs, even though they taste exactly the same and they are as good as the brown. You know, it's just the colour of the hens!". And I said to her, "Oooh how curious! Do you know that when I was a little girl in Cádiz most of the eggs you could buy were white? And that I remember when we started to get more brown eggs?" And she found that very interesting. Maybe your mother remembers this too. Whatever the colour, I am rather partial to eggs. Boiled eggs with runny yolks and nice soldiers, or lovely scrambled eggs or a nice tortilla... Hmmm the possibilities are endless. I wish you a nice eggy day. Lots of love, Imogen

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hola, Iain. Qué bueno tu blog. No lo conocía. Enhorabuena!

    Los otros días me di cuenta de que nunca había pensado sobre el significado del número que llevan impresos los huevos. Lo dijeron en la tele, y lo tomé por bueno: sería un código para saber de qué granja son, y cómo son criadas las gallinas que los ponen.

    Y de paso, te regalo un poquito de humor gráfico de un dibujante amigo que se llama Alberto Montt, que casi siempre me hace reír:

    http://www.dosisdiarias.com/2008/06/2008-06-09.html.

    Muchos saludos!

    ResponderEliminar

Thanks for leaving a comment!